Wednesday, January 21, 2015

The significance of learning and sharing that pet's story!

When you meet someone new what helps you feel you are getting to know that person?
A name is helpful, sharing one's age allows for better insight but what about when the 'new person' shares more with you?
When you find out a bit of someone's story doesn't it make you feel you truly know that person... When someone tells you where he is from, how he came to live in this city, what his occupation is, whether or not he's single, married, divorced, with or without kids, what he enjoys doing and so on- these details allow you and your 'new friend' to discover what you have in common (we all have some things in common). These details also permit you to feel empathy for your new friend and to share on an emotional level oppose to a passive, disengaged one.
I'm here to tell you- the same goes with meeting a homeless pet.
As a longtime shelter worker and volunteer I knew pretty much from day one that the pet's story could be crucial to helping it find a home.
When potential adopters see or hear: name, age, weight, and that's it for a particular pet it can be easy for them to stay disengaged, to feel that they don't truly know that pet... to just walk on by.
Wanting to rescue a pet, take it in, make it part of your life, when you don't feel like you really know that pet, can be challenging for the average person.
However when potential adopters see something like: Charlie is a 10 month old lab mix that will do anything for you to throw that tennis ball! This fun-loving, affectionate character adores the company of other dogs and people, heck he even likes cats (but we can't guarantee you they'll like him)! Unfortunately Charlie's prior owner surrendered him to the shelter because she was moving and apparently couldn't find an apartment that would accept her pet. Charlie needs an owner that knows pets are not disposable. He needs to find a home quickly since the shelter cannot keep dogs for long periods. Do you have 10 minutes now? -Great, then go fetch a volunteer to get Charlie out for you so he can get a much-needed pee break and show off those amazing tennis-ball-catching-skills! 
This is just an example. What I'm getting at is this: if you're in animal rescue, if you're seeking out adopters for homeless pets, you've got to learn as much as possible about your pets' stories and then you've got to share them- always. Share them in writing on pet adoption sites, on the backs of kennel cards, share them on social media, share them in person, just share those stories however and whenever possible. Remember, every pet has a story.
Now I'll share with you a message I received yesterday via facebook messenger from a former adopter that shared with me how significant knowing her adopted pet's story was for her when she was on the fence about adopting:



Hi Jessica!

My name is Beatriz and a few years ago, I adopted Mia from Animal Services at the Marlins adoption event in September 2012.
I think that you were the one that told me her story... how she was picked up off the street, then adopted, then returned... and was walking with her when she had her little "Adopt me" vest on that day.

I always meant to e-mail you following that day, because I can't tell you how much my life has changed since then.
She is the most loving, affectionate, loyal girl I've ever met and incredibly smart as well. She even manages to open my bedroom door and cuddle in my bed when I'm gone. She loves to tan, run, and play with other dogs.

She used to be so scared at first, especially of men, but little by little it started going away, as she met my dad, my boyfriend, and other guy friends that she learned to trust.
She also had a little bit of a peeing problem when I left the house, but that also started going away when she realized I always came back.

I just wanted to thank you, for telling me her story that day, and for being there with her. I wasn't even certain on adopting that day, but ever since I took her home, I can't imagine my days without her.

Here are some pictures of her, in case you'd like to see! And I hope that it was you!

-Beatriz
photo Beatriz sent me

Photo of Mia and I the day of the Adoption Event, we were both soooo happy she was going home!

No comments:

Post a Comment